From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Welcome Dick Hirsch as an ESME committer!
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:38:25 GMT
On Wed August 26 2009 8:45:05 am Erik Engbrecht wrote:
> Congrats Dick!
>
> Betrand,
>   A minor point of curiosity...how many other Apache committers are they
> who aren't coders?  I think this is a good thing, and I'm wondering if it's
> something new...

It's definitely not a "normal" thing, but it does occur.   For CXF, we had one
"committer" that really just did documentation in confluence.   With some
prodding, he's now started doing some javadoc as well which is a good thing,
but definitely NOT a coder.

We also have one committer that's not really a "coder", but has committed a
lot.   He's gone through all the code and fixed all the typos and grammar
mistakes in all the error/logging messages, help text, method/field names,
etc....     Again, not so much a coder, but VERY valuable contributions as
well.

Basically, there are very valuable contributions to be made to a project that
don't require uber coding skills.   Those contributions should be recognized
as well.

Another good example:  the ASF recently elected a new member as an ASF member
that has never committed any code to any ASF project. (he didn't even have an
account on people.apache.org)   He's a lawyer and his legal contributions to
the ASF merited it.    (and Dave: if you have some specific legal issues with
the was ASF works, I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss it with you on legal-
discuss@apache.org  :-)   )

Recognizing these types of contributions can be one of the hardest things in
growing a community.   As developers, we're all used to being on the lookout
for patches and such that a developer would do.   Being on a lookout for other
types of contributions can definitely take some effort.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org