From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Resend Functionality
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:08:44 GMT
Hey, I thought you did Monday deployments only on Monday, you caught
me by surprise in the middle of a development cycle :)

> I am wondering if Vassil is the only who can see the retsent messages?
> At least he could see my resent messages although they never showed up in my
> timeline.

A message will not appear in your timeline if it's already there. The
whole point of resending messages was that the message is not
duplicated like it is with the numerous retweets in Twitter. This
means that the resender will not see a change in her/his timeline,
which is a bit unfortunate, because we don't have any feedback that
something has happened. Perhaps an icon could change or the button
could disappear, or a status message could appear... Please bear with
me, I'll eventually get it right.

> Actually right now none of my messages show up in the timeline. I just sent
> 4 and they all disappeared.

There seem to be some stability issues, which we also experienced the
last weeks independently of the newly developed features. Maybe this
is memory-related, but it's hard to confirm. Not sure how much memory
we need, but I remember reading somewhere that Stax limits memory to
256MB, which might be a bit too tight for a servlet container,
embedded database (!) and 2 actor implementations running at the same
time.

> I'm not quite sure I understand the resend functionality. Tried it on
> Stax and I'm not sure if it works correctly.

Actually I've just made explicit what was already in ESME. Even before
the changes, there was the "resend" action, but it would run only if
the message satisfies the filter criteria. The only thing that's
changed now is that you can invoke this action manually for a message,
and you can also see the reason of the message (which was stored in
the timeline data in the DB, but just wasn't displayed). Try a
"resend" action on esme.us or esmecloudserver.dickhirsch.staxapps.net
to see what I mean (e.g. filter "any" will catch all messages).

> Like the idea that a mesage now includes a reason for appearing in
> your timeline but what are the other possible reasons: "followed",

The reason is information about how the message got to your timeline.
It's especially useful in the context of resent messages, because all
of a sudden you'll see messages in your timeline from users, which
you're not even following. The reason is not a part of the message
itself and can be different for the same message but for different
users. Each of the hooks has a different reason, but we might not
display that information, because it's duplicated a lot with the
message source.

> It would probably be better if in the final UI, this reason was
> represent by a special icon.

Absolutely, I didn't want to focus on this right now. I think there
are too many columns right now and it's better to represent some of
this information with visual cues- (color? icons?).

Vassil