From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Pool stuff is good to go
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2009 07:51:58 GMT
There is some more pool functionality, which works now:

- As those of you trying the stax deployment have noticed, the *pool
name* is now displayed on the user's timeline

- Messages in pools you're not authorized to view will not appear in
the Web UI or RestAPI. This includes:
  * timeline
  * tracking
  * search (it's currently disabled, but should be filtered out if it wasn't)
  * viewing other users' timeline and messages from the "List users" page
This doesn't yet include the TwitterAPI and Tags from restricted
messages will (probably) also be visible in the tag cloud. I haven't
decided if the latter is a feature or a bug yet, but tend to think
tags from pools shouldn't leak to people who are otherwise not able to
see them. What do you think?

I managed to add an extra query parameter to "find*" methods via the
findMapDb, if there's a logged in user. Unfortunately addlQueryParams
will not do, as the param added is not static but depends on the
current user.

What's next:
1. Deleting users from a pool.
2. Deleting a pool (by first removing all users from it).
3. Generating messages you can filter on when you're added to a pool;
messages upon creating a new pool shouldn't be generated (I think).
4. Filtering on pools in actions. One idea which this will allow me to
implement is an action, which executes the message in a Scala
interpreter if it's sent to a certain private pool. Of course, this is
as big a security hole as you can get, so you should be able to
enable/disable on startup. Besides, there are already security
restrictions in place in the sandboxed environment of Stax and any
other cloud.

Interpreting a message as Scala code should have educational value
similar to what lotrepls.appspot.com provides. It would be invaluable
for memory profiling and other sort of debugging. For instance, it
will make it possible to execute e.g. David's memory profiling code as
an action, which scores extra coolness points ;-)

Vassil