From Richard Hirsch <hirsch.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Nobody from the ASF is helping (ESME) sustain or build momentum or community
Date Sun, 03 May 2009 09:25:46 GMT
I agree with Vassil in that the main issue deals with the creation of
exceptional open-source code and the different ways to build the community
to support such code. Much of the debate revolving around the ASF concerns
unspoken expectations - what should / can ASF provide emerging projects. As
Gianugo puts it

> The actual community building is however a task for the project itself: the
> ASF isn't Midas and won't be able to
> turn an unattractive project into sexy stuff that gathers time and
> enthusiasm from volunteers.

IMHO, the ASF provides the structure - based on years of experience - and
infrastructure to support such communities.  I
think all open-source projects want to succeed. There is always some hidden
hope that the ASF's Midas touch will lead to a stream of new developers
contributing to this success.  I think in the ASF the focus is on doing
things the "Apache" way as a means of creating this community.  Although ASF
can provide guidance based upon what has been successful in other Apache
projects, it can't be expected to do the grunt work for all its projects.
We could expect more "lessons learned" from other ASF projects coming from
the mentors but the actual application of these ideas has to come from us.

Speaking of grunt work, we should probably be considering what to do about
the necessity of rewriting the ESME codebase as  David and Erik describe. We
can have the best wiki in the ASF but ESME is a software project and without
a solid code base we aren't going to get very far.

D.