From David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Nobody from the ASF is helping (ESME) sustain or build momentum or community
Date Sun, 03 May 2009 18:18:22 GMT
On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Gianugo Rabellino <
g.rabellino@sourcesense.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 6:54 PM, David Pollak
> <feeder.of.the.bears@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> > <bdelacretaz@apache.org>wrote:
> > I expect real analysis and work on the part of the ASF.  This is the kind
> of
> > value that the ESME project needs.  Are my expectations way out of line?
>
> Yes. What you can expect from the ASF (the project mentors, actually),
> on top of logistics and legal, is pull, not push. Ask questions, get
> answers. Mentors' mileage may vary, but we are here to steward and
> advise, not to have a (pro)active role. Unless we want, as volunteers,
> do so.
>
> That's a realistic expectation. Now, if you want to get more, you
> might want to show some of you "experience in building open source
> communities" and steer clear from bossing us.

Okay... this series of posts from you is the first in the ESME community.
And... you started off by being rather obnoxious to me.  Now you're accusing
me of bossing.  In terms of my experience building communities, I helped
build the NextStep community in the early 90's.  I build the Mesa community
(50K users strong) and Mesa still runs as a code base today and there are
still active users.  More recently, I helped build the Scala community and I
have built the Lift community.  I have also participated in the ESME
community for going on 10 months now and contributed > 50% of the code in
the code base.  I was also the one that made the introduction for the ESME
community to the ASF.

Please tell me what value you have to give to this community or the ASF as a
whole other than trying to sell developers to this project.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Git some: http://github.com/dpp