From David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Nobody from the ASF is helping (ESME) sustain or build momentum or community
Date Sun, 03 May 2009 17:07:01 GMT
On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Gianugo Rabellino <
g.rabellino@sourcesense.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Anne Kathrine Petteroe
> <yojibee@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a question for Erik.
> >
> > In a comment on David's post you say:
> > "I just don't see the path, other than perhaps Siemens, SAP, or some
> other
> > sponsor paying people to write the code. Which, of course, would fit with
> > other ASF projects."
> >
> > How does this sponsorship work?
> > Does ASF have projects which are commercial open source?
>
> Anne,
>
> I'm walking a fine line here, so full disclosure first (and apologies
> if it's perceived as spam): my company provides, among others, those
> kind of services and we have been, although in a somewhat different
> way, doing something very similar to sponsored work on another Apache
> project (POI) on behalf of a "sponsor" (Microsoft). I won't abuse any
> further of the public list, but feel free to contact me if you want to
> know more about what we did over there.

ESME is not a corporate sponsored project.  It's not a project funded by the
likes of Microsoft, SAP, etc.  It's a community effort.  If I were to choose
a firm to help guide ESME, I'd recommend RedMonk.  Why?  Because the RedMonk
folks are very good and have already participated in ESME (plus there are
good personal relationships.)

If you want to demonstrate that you've got any value to offer other than
trying to suck money out of Anne's budget for your services and piss on me,
perhaps you can be positive about helping to analyze ESME and what this
project needs to succeed in the ASF and beyond... without any corporate
support.

Oh, and yes, I do have experience building open source communities.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Git some: http://github.com/dpp