From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Nobody from the ASF is helping (ESME) sustain or build momentum or community
Date Sat, 02 May 2009 22:22:02 GMT
Without trying to get into David's mind, I'd like to point out that
David's blog post was more of a reaction to defend the Rails
community. I must say it's possible to get the point across even
without the unfortunate comparison with the ASF. The point is this:
it's hard writing exceptional software. I think you both agree on one
count: even guidance and support don't guarantee a groundbreaking
software project. If success was easy to reproduce, someone would have
discovered a way of generating groundbreaking software projects on a
mass scale.

Now I don't think that a software project has to be groundbreaking to
be useful. I have no illusions that ESME is destined to be as
groundbreaking as e.g. Rails. I still hope it has the chance to be
useful.

With that said, I hope that any heated arguments originating from the
Rails scandal are over soon, because there are probably no two people
who agree on which software is useful or groundbreaking. And the time
and effort spent in a discussion like this could be spent creating
software.

Vassil