From Darren Hague <dha...@fortybeans.com>
Subject Re: How about targetting a "release"?
Date Mon, 18 May 2009 19:17:10 GMT
The outstanding HTML-out-of-Scala-code tickets would be good to address.
I've looked at the Track one, but a couple of hours investigation led me
nowhere. The HTML is just too embedded at the moment.  Unlike the Comet
stuff, where the HTML was relatively easy to extract (because of the
nature of Comet), I had no luck with the other stuff, short of wondering
how to initialise a Scala XML node from an HTML file - for which I
couldn't find any example code anywhere.

Right now, and speaking as someone who's been dabbling in Scala & Lift
for over a year, the ESME codebase is just too hard to work with in many
of the areas I've investigated. Whatever it takes, and however long it
takes, we need to get the codebase into a state where it is
understandable and maintainable, and this is mostly beyond my skills at
present.  I will buy the available Lift & Scala books as available to
see if this helps, but in the short term my effectiveness is limited.
I'm happy to do pattern-based work - if someone can show me an example
of how something should be done, and wants a bunch more of it done, then
I am happy to pitch in.

Please note that I am not down on Scala & Lift themselves - I presented
Scala to my team last week, and got some good feedback (to the degree
that I may be allowed to include some Scala in the production code I'm
working on) and I will be presenting Lift in the next few weeks.

All the best,
Darren