From Gianugo Rabellino <g.rabell...@sourcesense.com>
Subject Re: Nobody from the ASF is helping (ESME) sustain or build momentum or community
Date Sun, 03 May 2009 17:42:25 GMT
On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 7:07 PM, David Pollak
<feeder.of.the.bears@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Gianugo Rabellino <
> g.rabellino@sourcesense.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Anne Kathrine Petteroe
>> <yojibee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I have a question for Erik.
>> >
>> > In a comment on David's post you say:
>> > "I just don't see the path, other than perhaps Siemens, SAP, or some
>> other
>> > sponsor paying people to write the code. Which, of course, would fit with
>> > other ASF projects."
>> >
>> > How does this sponsorship work?
>> > Does ASF have projects which are commercial open source?
>>
>> Anne,
>>
>> I'm walking a fine line here, so full disclosure first (and apologies
>> if it's perceived as spam): my company provides, among others, those
>> kind of services and we have been, although in a somewhat different
>> way, doing something very similar to sponsored work on another Apache
>> project (POI) on behalf of a "sponsor" (Microsoft). I won't abuse any
>> further of the public list, but feel free to contact me if you want to
>> know more about what we did over there.
>

> ESME is not a corporate sponsored project.  It's not a project funded by the
> likes of Microsoft, SAP, etc.  It's a community effort.

FTR, neither is POI.

> If I were to choose
> a firm to help guide ESME, I'd recommend RedMonk.  Why?  Because the RedMonk
> folks are very good and have already participated in ESME (plus there are
> good personal relationships.)

RedMonk as in the analyst RedMonk? They can definitely be helpful,
although that kinda collides with the idea of having more developers.
Anyway, they are good blokes indeed and I would suggest them to anyone
who needs analyst help with Open Source stuff..

> If you want to demonstrate that you've got any value to offer other than
> trying to suck money out of Anne's budget for your services and piss on me,
> perhaps you can be positive about helping to analyze ESME and what this
> project needs to succeed in the ASF and beyond... without any corporate
> support.

Whatever, David. I knew my disclaimer could have been read as a plug,
but I just prefer being over-transparent. Making my point without
noting that I happen to make a living out of those services Anne was
inquiring for would have been dodgy. For now, you're getting my free
time and attention, and I'm still more than happy to help ESME out,
assuming we can find a way to move on without throwing insults. I just
have much better things to do than stay in front of pointless
mudslinging.

--
Gianugo Rabellino
M: +44 779 5364 932 / +39 389 44 26 846