From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ESME as a Scala console
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 07:53:47 GMT
> I looked at it but didn't quite understand it. Do you mean that we could
> have a console-based interface to the REST-API?

No, sorry. I meant that you send a Scala command as a normal message.
The message is sent to a Scala interpreter, evaluated, and the result
is sent back. In this way you can try out different Scala commands and
learn Scala.

For instance, I send a message:

    println(List(1,2,3).filter(_ % 2 == 0))

as a reply to, say, user "ScalaConsole". It evaluates the result and returns:

    List(2)

We could expand this and create a bot, which acts as an interface to
the OS shell, or telnet to a Cisco router, etc., etc. But the point
was to have a way to learn Scala *and* try the benefits of ESME. I
think we can use the responsiveness of Comet messages to our advantage
here.