From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Exploiting Scala Buzz
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2009 20:11:30 GMT
> Does anyone have suggestions, how Apache ESME can use this interest to
> increase its community?

I think the best part is that we don't need to do anything different
than what we have to do anyway :)

> I have a few ideas:
>
>   - A guide to how to use ESME to learn Scala -- (@Vassil - do you have
>   ideas?)

Popularity surge or not, this might be a good idea; of course it has
to be adapted to ESME's concepts.

>   - A few tips to try out on a local ESME installation to learn Scala.
>   "Hello World" experience with ESME.

A very interesting idea would be to use different components from ESME
to create e.g. a Twitter bot; some of the code from ESME actions was
initially reused by a standalone bot which feeds items into ESME.

>   - Better documentation in our existing Scala code (look here for a better
>   example -
>   http://scala-tools.org/mvnsites/liftweb/lift-amqp/scaladocs/net/liftweb/amqp/AMQPDispatcher.scala.html),
>   so that beginners have an idea what we are doing in our code base.

>   - More PR work to point people to the Apache ESME site.

Absolutely- but I feel before we need to point hordes of potential
developers to our site, we should have something more presentable :(
maybe not a requirement for a motivated developer if they see promise,
but nevertheless finding out easily how to get started could come a
long way.