From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ideas concerning RabbitMQ - ESME Integration
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:47:48 GMT
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 1:49 PM, David Pollak
<feeder.of.the.bears@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 1:59 AM, Alexis Richardson <
> alexis.richardson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Great.  What sorts of scenarios would be most interesting for you guys?
>

> To my mind:
>
>   - A virtual ESME user is really the surfacing of a RabbitMQ queue (or
>   collection of them) so that systems that talk to Rabbit can also be systems
>   that talk to ESME
>   - A filter action that puts a message into a Rabbit queue so that I can
>   create a rule that filters a lot of disparate data streams into something
>   that can then be sent off to other systems that listen to Rabbit
>
> There are a couple of features that these imply:
>
>   - Multiple "users" per log in account.  If I'm going to channel a Rabbit
>   queue (or set of queues), I want a separate ESME user that people can
>   follow, but I don't want to have separate login credentials.
>   - The filter language needs to be a lot like spreadsheet formula
>   functions because those are what business people can best deal with... or
>   like HyperCard statements

filter languages are quite an interesting topic

sieve would be reasonable applicable (and it's probably worth looking
at even if another approach is picked int the end). it's syntax is a
little unintuitive but AIUI it's used by several BigCo SMTP servers
and some CMS so it can't be that bad. mostly, they wrap a AJAX web
application around it.

a proof-of-concept using apache jsieve and sieve as the filter
language should be quick and easy to do

- robert