From David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Other twitter functionality to implement
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:00:42 GMT
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 1:21 AM, Hirsch, Richard <richard.hirsch@siemens.com
> wrote:

> The use of RabbitMQ might change the problem with deleting messages that
> are located in a federated environment.

Using Rabbit as a federation mechanism is a bad idea.  Rabbit is best used
when you can trust all the parties accessing the message queue.  That is not
true across the Internet.

> I could send notification to the federated network that a ESME message is
> being deleted and then those systems that have the message could act
> accordingly. Of course, this would require some sort of message id that is
> unique across all ESME servers.

A GUID will be part of the messages (if it's not already).   And yes, you
can broadcast a "delete message with GUID" message to all the machines in
your federation.  It does not, however, deal with the "which mailbox did a
message get into?"  That is a harder problem because of filters.  It's also
an issue of what a user expects when they delete a message.  They expect
that the message will go away immediately.  It may be many minutes before
the message is removed from all the federated systems.

I am super non-keen on deletion overall.  Like email, once you hit sent, the
message exists is the way I'd prefer to let users view ESME.

Thanks,

David

> D.

The