From David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ESME Groups
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:07:17 GMT
Folks,
I have in the past and will continue to bristle over calling pools groups.
 They are not.

Facebook's new front page has groups.  Groups are personal things where I
assign different people into different groups and the meaning of a group is
individual to me and it's all about my view of the world.  This keeps to the
"opt in" mechanism that we absolutely must preserve in ESME.  If we do this
type of group in the future, that's way cool, but once again, it's a
personal thing that has nothing to do with access control or "sending".

Darren and I talked about pools.  Pools are collections of messages that can
only be read by people who have been granted access to that pool.
 @pool_name *DOES NOT* "send to that pool."  A person who has access to a
pool is see messages put into that pool that otherwise meet the person's
criteria (who they are following, what their filter rules are.)  There is no
"send to a pool" concept.  It's "place a message in a pool" and all messages
are placed in one and only one pool and by default, that pool is the
server-local public pool.  We can automagically create pools based on LDAP
groups.  We can automagically add/remove access to pools based on LDAP
groups.  We can mirror what LDAP does without destroying the most important
piece... ESME is opt-in.

A User has a relationship with a pool.  That relationship is
read/read-write/administer (which implies read-write).  If someone
@pool_name a message, that message will be posted to whatever pool it would
otherwise be put in as well as put in the mailbox of all administrators of
the named pool as long as those people had access to the pool that message
was also put in.  This allows a user to request access to a give pool
without having to know the names of the administators of the pool.

So, how do you get a message into a pool?  You will define your default
pool.  This is the pool that your messages get put into unless you specify
otherwise.  This means that the CEO can choose to put things in the
"c-level" pool by default.  Most people will post to the public pool by
default.  If you are in a text-only interface, you will do the following:
d pool_name message

This is a direct message to the pool.  This is just like the upcoming direct
message to a person.  Darren came up with the idea and the semantics are
perfect.

We may choose to layer a UI on top of this with a pull-down for target pool
and maybe even change the UI (color or image or icon) to reflect the target
pool.

I understand that we are using groups and pools to mean something different
than people are used to.  ESME is a different medium than people are used
to.  That gives EMSE its power.  ESME is powerful because it is a dynamic,
opt-in, social medium rather than a point-to-point communications medium.
 There are different concepts in ESME than in point-to-point mediums.  Let's
do the extra work now to make sure we understand those differences and
celebrate those differences and get others excited about those differences
so that ESME can thrive for what it is... a social tool for social animals.

Thanks,

David

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 7:19 AM, Hirsch, Richard <richard.hirsch@siemens.com

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp