From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The current state of ESME
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 13:48:29 GMT
>>> Are you suggesting we should rename ESME to SME?  :-)
>
> why not rename ESME to Esme?
>
> acronyms are a little unfriendly and can be a little intimidating so
> why no go for the girl's name instead?

The team has actually been thinking about a name which symbolizes what
ESME has to offer... but we haven't thought of a name which would
stick so far (we had one working title with possible negative
connotations).

The controversial topic so far has been the enterprise focus. My
vision was that if we just reposition ESME from a strictly
*enterprise* focus to a slightly broader one- of an *organization*,
then people from schools and universities might also feel that ESME is
for them.

What are the benefits? As you know, students tend to have a lot of
enthusiasm and blocks of free time to contribute to open-source
projects (otherwise why is Google's Summer of Code so popular?).
Students are also more open to new technologies and programming
languages, which Scala is at the moment. Most of the people I've
talked to who have heard of Scala were interns.

So I connected the dots and decided that if more students thought they
would benefit by using ESME, then they would be more willing to
contribute to ESME. For a new open-source project, this is fertile
ground. Has anyone thought about this and do you feel contribution
from students is an untapped resource for ESME?

We don't to change the name just yet. Some have suggested that a
non-business-focused organization like an university can also be
viewed as an enterprise in a broader sense.

Vassil