From Erik Engbrecht <erik.engbre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The current state of ESME
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2009 17:51:21 GMT
I think focusing on "enterprise scale" is misleading.  Even if you consider
deployment across a really large enterprise with several hundred thousand
employees and assume they are all going to use it you are still left with
something a fraction of the scale of Twitter.  When you apply some reality,
an "enterprise deployment" even in a big company would initially consist of
hundreds of users, not thousands or hundreds of thousands.

But what enterprises do have is decades worth of infrastructure that has
basically been built through accretion with which you need to integrate,
rules per capita governing technology deployments approaching 2:1, and all
sorts of strange security requirements that may or may not be founded on
some rational thought.

So small and simple is key, and I'll throw in extensible and adaptable.

Now, about that infrastructure...  It would be nice to know how ESME fits
with common infrastructure:

Authentication - Active Directroy, Kerberos, LDAP, etc
Directory Services - AD / LDAP
Existing messaging platforms: Exchange, Office Communicator, BlackBerry, etc
Major enterprise systems:  SAP, Siemens PLM line (Teamcenter), doc
management such as LiveLink or SharePoint etc - especially older versions

Note that "fit" doesn't necessarily mean "integrate."  It can simply mean
being able to concisely explain how ESME relates to the other pieces.  You
can almost treat it as a checklist of soundbites.

-Erik

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

--
http://erikengbrecht.blogspot.com/