From "Hirsch, Richard" <richard.hir...@siemens.com>
Subject Ideas concerning RabbitMQ - ESME Integration
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 07:59:29 GMT
David introduced us to Alexis Richardson who runs the RabbitMQ project (http://www.rabbitmq.com/
<http://www.rabbitmq.com/> )  and we had a short  email exchange about integration posibilitites.
RabbitMQ is an open-source implementation of AMQP <http://www.rabbitmq.com/faq.html#what-is-amqp>
, the emerging standard for high performance enterprise messaging. I wanted to move the conversation
to the esme-dev list to get some ideas and involve everyone.

We were discussing possible scenarios, especially regarding federated scenarios where multiple
ESME servers wish to exchange messages. Lift already has RabbitMQ integration (http://scala-tools.org/mvnsites/liftweb/lift-amqp/scaladocs/index.html
<http://scala-tools.org/mvnsites/liftweb/lift-amqp/scaladocs/index.html>  )  As an aside,
I've got to say that I'm always surprised at what Lift already can do.  This functionality
would probably work well with our planned pool functionality. The idea would be that there
are some pools that are federated across several servers.  Until we have the pool functionality
working, I like to suggest creating an action that sends a message via AMQP to another ESME
server. Of course, we'd have to implement a AMQPAddListener to receive the messages sent via
the action. This way we can learn more about messaging via AMQP. My suggestion would be that
we create a second Stax instance that can act as a receiver to test out these enterprise messaging
scenarios. I'm going to set up a Jira items to deal with the new action and AMQPAddListener
implementations.

It appears that there is an expiremental binding for HTTP (http://www.rabbitmq.com/download.html#experimental)
- maybe that might be a first step. We could use the existing HTP action to create a HTTP
Message for RabbitMQ.

We need a RabbitMQ server to communicate via AMQP, so we can use a public hosted by LShift
or deploy our own in Stax. Let's use the public one first.

By the way, laconica is also looking at using RabbitMQ, so that there is a good chance for
some interoperability there.

D.