From Vassil Dichev <vdic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Twitter RESTful API
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2009 07:28:10 GMT
> From what I saw, it is not ""twitter/api" but "twitter" (JSON) or "api" (XML). Probably
have to check the twitter api again to make sure.  That means we don't need a url with two
segments but two separate URLs.

The Twitter API documentation
(http://apiwiki.twitter.com/REST+API+Documentation) doesn't use any
particular prefix, and json and xml calls are distinguished by the
suffix- e.g. friends_timeline.json vs. friends_timeline.xml. Laconi.ca
uses the "api" prefix for their twitter REST API, probably to prevent
clashes with their own URLs.

The problem with ESME is that it uses "api" already for its own
RESTful API, so by default the Twitter API prefix is "twitter". Some
clients' configuration is not very flexible (twhirl, which was used
for testing our API) so it requires the "api" prefix. You could
configure ESME to use "api" as a prefix, but this would lead to some
undesirable consequences, e.g. our own API would require HTTP Basic
authentication as well, which would probably confuse our own ESME
desktop clients.

The problem could be solved if we use a prefix, consisting of multiple
segments, e.g. "twitter/api", I'm currently working on ways to
integrate it with our twitter API. Again: whether to serve XML or JSON
doesn't depend on the prefix, but the suffix.