From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Publically editable wiki
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2009 21:21:24 GMT
On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Vassil Dichev <vdichev@apache.org> wrote:
>>...I wanted to know about the ICLA process in order
>> to follow it and have no intention of circumventing it. E.g. the ESME
>> site was created by Dick, but uploaded by Bertrand, so there must be
>> perfectly clean ways for someone like Dick to contribute. I wanted to
>> know where to draw the line....
>
> In this case, Dick, when updating his patches to ESME-2, checked the
> "grant license to ASF" option, visible at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ManageAttachments.jspa?id=12410470
> - that makes it fine for a committer to apply those patches.

documentation is - in some ways - a difficult subject than code

a typical code contributions will be - as a derivative work - covered
by AL2.0 clause 5.  apache always try to be as clear and transparent
as possible - the click through license isn't usually strictly
necessary but it's good for contributors to actively make an explicit
choice to donate.

however - Bertrand said - it is important to ask any multiple
contributors for a CLA (as part of encouragement aimed at persuading
them to join the community)

> There's no such option for wiki content unfortunately, AFAIK.

+1

> Still, when someone starts updating lots of patches (whatever that
> means) in this way, projects usually ask them to submit an iCLA - it's
> also a good way to make people aware that their contributions might
> help them become a committer at some point.

+1

- robert