From "Hirsch, Richard" <richard.hir...@siemens.com>
Subject RE: Details from Stax Load test
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 07:28:38 GMT
Once Daniel has composed the figures, I will blog about them on blog.esme.us.

Anyone got any problems with that?

D.

________________________________

From: Daniel Koller [mailto:dakoller@googlemail.com]
Sent: Thu 1/8/2009 08:21
To: esme-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Details from Stax Load test

Good morning.

I want to give you a short overview about the load test I did yesterday
evening:

ESME@Stax was approached by up to nine parallel Java applications threads,
which used the REST api to logon, to post a message and then to logoff
again. This happens for each of the threads about 250-500 times. This test
is shown in the pic attached by Dick: it is the high level plateau shown at
process memory. I measured the time for each of the mentioned steps, and
also the total time for the call.

I'll post facts and figures, when I compiled them and changed the test
scripts, but here are the first
Observations:
- We had the exceptions Dick mentioned, besides from these errors the
response times were on the same (good) level for a long time.
- Sometimes there are subsequent calls which take longer (about 3-5x), but
performance comes back to the previous level after short time. The reasons
for these longer function calls has to be investigated. (maybe related to
the mentioned Scala topics in Davids mail before)
- During earlier tests, I found that the performance of the ESME Web UI goes
down under heavy REST load.

Next steps:
- I will include in the test scripts a test step to simulate a call the the
Web UI (to get the complete picture of ESME performance)
- Yesterday I tested one user which is logging in over and over again, but
this user is not followed by anybody. Also the receiving messages step is
not tested. --> this means creation of a test script, which impersonates
more different users, which are also followed by a different number of other
users.
- Also receiving messages hast to be incorporated into the test script.

That's it for now,

Daniel

--
---