From "Hirsch, Richard" <richard.hir...@siemens.com>
Subject Details from Stax Load test
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 04:54:15 GMT
Here are some details for a very first performance test on Stax for the ESME server. Daniel
tried with 1000 concurrent connections and then the server started having some problems. Take
a look at the enclosed stack trace and you will see that towards the end there were problems
with the threads. I'm also enclosing a picture of the Stax performance indicators. I don't
know the exact dimensions of the test but I'm sure Daniel will provide them soon.

Load tests are critical if we are to succeed in enterprises. They are also critical when customers
need sizing information. I assume that they should also be useful for the lift framework.

D.

________________________________

From: Spike Washburn [mailto:spike@staxnetworks.com]
Sent: Wed 1/7/2009 23:13
To: Hirsch, Richard
Subject: Re: Stax account

The activity died back down for a bit, but then the app started sucking up memory and CPU
like it was stuck in a loop.  When we checked the logs, we saw it was throwing out of memory
exceptions.  Since the app was clearly in a death spiral, we took a JVM stack dump and then
restarted the app.  I have attached the last part of the appserver log if you want to review
it.

Also I noticed from the log that your app is getting warnings about including the servlet-api-2.5.jar
in WEB-INF/lib. This is not necessary since the Servlet API classes are part of the classpath
provided by the appserver.

Before your app died we were seeing upwards of 1000 concurrent connections to your app.  Please
let me know if you were expecting this load or if it was some kind of external attack against
your app.

Thanks,
Spike