From "Hirsch, Richard" <richard.hir...@siemens.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Web UI options
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 16:28:32 GMT
I think your final option is an excellent suggestion and aligns with what Darren suggested
as well. :

o On the other hand, if the UI code (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc.) would have to be redone
from scratch, then maybe we can create an interim UI that is also the first step in the evolution
of the "BillF" UI, and pursue both goals with one action.

P.S: I'm going to forward this to the esme-dev list, so that others can see your suggestions
as well.  The first VOTE mail was just sent to you when I intended to be sent to you and the
common mailing list.

D.

________________________________

From: Bill Fernandez [mailto:bill@billfernandez.com]
Sent: Wed 1/7/2009 17:19
To: Hirsch, Richard
Cc: Bill Fernandez
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Web UI options

Dick--

I'm not knowledgeable enough about the project roadmap to be able to
make a clear vote, but here are my thoughts.

o I think good UIs for installing, administering and using ESME will
be critical to the success of the project.  I also think these will
take quite awhile to develop, and will need to be matured in stages.

o If the UI code associated with the Apache version works well enough
for now, maybe we should leave it as is and spend our time on
developing what we really need in the long-term for ESME success.

o On the other hand if the UI code associated with the Apache version
is not good enough to serve those who want to evaluate/use ESME as it
is now, then maybe we should rush out an interim version that
provides the minimum necessary functionality and usability.

o If rushing out an interim version would be accomplished by tweaking
the existing code, then that would be the fastest way to put the
end-user UI in a state where it could last for awhile as we develop
our long-term solution.

o On the other hand, if the UI code (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc.)
would have to be redone from scratch, then maybe we can create an
interim UI that is also the first step in the evolution of the
"BillF" UI, and pursue both goals with one action.

Does that help?

--Bill