From "David Pollak" <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] UI Choice
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:01:54 GMT
On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 8:48 AM, Hirsch, Richard <richard.hirsch@siemens.com
> wrote:

> We just had a quick discussion about the ESME UI on a scrum and I wanted to
> ask the group's opinion on some next steps.
>
> After the code changes that David made to separate UI and server code, the
> next version of the UI that Mrinal and others had built no longer works. We
> now have a choice to either 1) use this code base as a foundation for a new
> UI that works with the server code at apache or 2) create a new UI based on
> bill's design. We must also consider the time and resources involved. If we
> choose 1), we will have a working UI based on the new apache code in a
> relatively short period of time but one that really doesn't match bill's
> direction. If we choose 2), we will have to finish bill's design first
> before Mrinal and others can start working on the new UI - which means more
> time to get a new UI up and running.
>
> Comments / suggestions?

We need a generic way of rendering the JSON objects into messages to be
displayed.  This is the vast majority of the work that needs to get done to
get a working UI.

Once the above is done, it's a 2-3 man-day project to separate the various
UI elements into components that can be embedded in HTML pages (basically,
identifying the components that need abstraction, placing them in files in
the templates-hidden directory and referencing them from the existing
pages).  Part of this task is to identify the various CSS elements that are
used in the components and the pages as a whole.

With this structure, we can evolve the UI by adding components that reflect
Bill's design.

So.. steps:

   - Building the JSON -> HTML writer
   - Identify the UI components
   - Identify the style components
   - Move the components to separate HTML template files
   - Assemble the pieces parts into working pages.

Thanks,

David

Collaborative Task Management http://much4.us
Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp