From Tim Colson <timcol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Problems in docs for running example-basic
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2011 22:21:26 GMT
I managed to get the basic example to run in both Eclipse and Intellij IDEA after some effort
troubleshooting.

Here are observations on the docs/tutorial info that were confusing or incorrect.

I pulled down the distro and expanded into /appdev, cd /appdev/apache-empire-db-2.1.0-incubating/src,
and then ran mvn idea:idea. The project opened in Intellij IDEA, ran SampleApp.java... gives
an error saying it cannot get the config value for empireDBDriverClass which suggests config.xml
file was found, but can't load that node.

I switched to Eclipse since the docs mention it specifically....

The website Getting started and Tutorial instructions incorrectly say to import empire-db-2.0.0/examples/DBSample
which does not exist in the 2.1 distro. The Tutorial PDF inside the distro is more accurate
for the path, but says to use mvn eclipse:eclipse, but the README.txt says "mvn clean install"
to build and  "mvn clean eclipse:eclipse -DdownloadSources=true" - so I did both steps.

I imported the projects Eclipse, but it complained of a missing "M2_REPO" variable. I googled
and fixed and the sample ran!

I went back to Intellij IDEA, and on a hunch checked the working directory. It was set to
the root of the src folder, so I set it to  empire-db-example-basic. The sample ran fine!
:-)

I guessed that the config.xml wasn't actually loading, but the error is misleading. I reviewed
XMLConfiguration.java, line 114, FileNotFoundException, but since log4j reported a problem
initializing, I added a System.out.println() and re-ran - it printed that config.xml was not
found.

Suggestions:
* update the Tutorial and Getting Started docs to align with the current release
* maybe add a footnote for Intellij users to make sure to set the working directory so the
config.xml is loaded.
* Review logging setup - since until config is loaded, the log system isn't init'd so the
log message about not being able to load the file fails.

Cheers!
-Tim

Intellij IDEA -- error....

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.empire.commons.ErrorType).
Running DB Sample...
*** Step 1: getJDBCConnection() ***
*** Step 2: getDatabaseProvider() ***
java.lang.RuntimeException: Configuration error: Element 'empireDBDriverClass' not found in
node 'properties-hsqldb'
	at org.apache.empire.samples.db.SampleApp.getDatabaseDriver(SampleApp.java:201)
	at org.apache.empire.samples.db.SampleApp.main(SampleApp.java:85)
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Configuration error: Element 'empireDBDriverClass'
not found in node 'properties-hsqldb'
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Configuration error: Element 'empireDBDriverClass'
not found in node 'properties-hsqldb'
	at org.apache.empire.samples.db.SampleApp.getDatabaseDriver(SampleApp.java:221)
	at org.apache.empire.samples.db.SampleApp.main(SampleApp.java:85)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Configuration error: Element 'empireDBDriverClass'
not found in node 'properties-hsqldb'
	at org.apache.empire.samples.db.SampleApp.getDatabaseDriver(SampleApp.java:201)
	... 1 more