From lesz...@Safe-mail.net
Subject Re: Future of empire-db
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2011 08:43:14 GMT
Hello
I few thougths from me.

> * Where do you use empire-db? or what keeps you from using empire-db?
In a software for my internal purposes - it's a web app which gathers and analyses some data.
The db used is h2database - because the amount of data is rather small (a few hundred MB).

> * If you evaluated empire-db but switched to something else we would
> like to know what you are using.
On the opposite. I've used hibernate earlier and switched to empire-db because I think it's
simpler
and functionality can be used directly in java code without a lot of annotations etc...

> * How do you feel about the project?
> * Is there anything we could do better?
I've noticed big performance improvement in query time (a few times) when I've switched from
ad hoc queries to prepared queries
(according to advice in some of your posts). However DBRecord.open and DBRecord.read method
does not use prepared queries.
Select record by primary key is an ideal candidate to use prepared queries.
So performance improvement could be done incrementally better .

> * What should we put more effort into?
I can't see much to change in the core api. The functionality is rather complete.
Probably much more can be done in "utilities" and integration of empire-db with other frameworks
and technologies.
You have developed a few helper "utilities" - the codegen, the maven plugin, struts2 integration.
In example I filled an issue
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMPIREDB-80
to integrate empire-db with apache ddlutils to have incremental schema synchronization.

> * Would you be interested in contributing. For example helping with
> documentation, examples, blog posts, or adding functionality.
I've contributed code to the above issue, I can provide an example program too, if needed.

Regards
Leszek