From Francis De Brabandere <franci...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Copy and Insert DBRecord (Urgent for me)
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 20:55:20 GMT
On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 9:02 PM, McKinley <mckinley1411@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Rainer Döbele <doebele@esteam.de> wrote:
>>
>> I know it is tempting to use initRecord() but it has not been designed for doing
what you want to do.
>> Rather it should be used for modifying existing records.
>
> Thanks for your example! I ended up using getInsertInto() which took a
> long time to learn how to use correctly. I think that Empire-db is the
> best thing out there right now, but there is a whole other API that
> could be build on top of it. I would like to come up with methods that
> return better references and generally provide more convenience in
> their arguments. After I have time to figure out the verbose areas of
> my code, I'll present some ideas.
>
>> IMO the right approach is to create a new record and copy all but pk and timestamp
columns.

> This should definitely go into a convenience method with optional
> (keepPK, keepTs) arguments in the future. The best way to avoid using
> the wrong method is by finding a more tempting one :)
>
> Perhaps the best thing for now is to get a wiki for common query
> examples. Is that possible at Apache?

Feel free to contribute! The wiki should be open for everybody.
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/empiredb/Query+Building

I agree that sometimes getting things done is not that intuitive.
Better documentation or api might help there. On the other hand I have
to agree with Rainer. These days the power of the database is
sometimes forgotten.

Cheers,
Francis

--