From Francis De Brabandere <franci...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spring Configuration
Date Tue, 05 Jan 2010 08:01:42 GMT
Hi Jaco,

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Jaco van Tonder <Jacovt@tebabank.com> wrote:
> Hello guys,
>

> I am busy investigating Empire-DB as a replacement for Hibernate in our
> organization (so far so good). :) I have a couple of questions though.
>

> I put together a config class that does not make use of a config file
> (looked at the examples, and just used the defaults), but instead is wired
> using Spring (simple setter injection). I could not find any examples that
> uses this method so I am not sure if this is the best way to do it. I looked
> at the source code and could not find any other way of configuring Empire-DB
> that is not XML based.
>

> Q: Is there a recommended way of configuring Empire-DB using Spring?

Not that I know of, the examples use a configuration class (with xml
storage) but that is not even part of the core empire db. Setting up
connections is mostly done by your app server or connection pool.
Setting up the DBDatabaseDriver can simply be done using
setters/getters.

Maybe we could create a empire-db-spring integration module but I
personally don't know that much about Spring.

> I read that there is no built-in transaction support. Obviously this is
> important for databases. J
>

> Q: What transaction managers are known to work well with Empire-DB? JOTM,
> etc etc etc? Are there any examples of this available somewhere?

Empire-db is a simple layer over jdbc, so in fact it supports
transactions like any other jdbc code (using commit/rollback)
We don't have any examples using transactions for now.

> I am willing to document any of the answers (ie spring configuration,
> transaction manager examples) on the project wiki.
>

> Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Francis

--