From "Christian Albrecht" <chris-albre...@web.de>
Subject Re: XPath-Persistence
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2011 13:19:04 GMT
Hi,

what I wanted to do was to create string-free XPath expressions. Therefore I need at least
the information about possible element or attribute names in the database, the XPath grammar
in Java objects and if possible an information about return types. Shure I can just write
plain-text XPath queries, but that defeats the whole purpose of compile-time safety, as it
is enforced with empire-db.

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: "Andreas Fink" <andi@andreasfink.com>
Gesendet: Jun 7, 2011 3:07:41 PM
An: empire-db-dev@incubator.apache.org
Betreff: Re: XPath-Persistence

>Hi Christian.
>
>If you want to query a xml-db with xpath or xquery why would you need a layer like empire-db
at all?
>All xml-db's i know (xindice, exist, ...) have at least support for xpath built in.
>The only useful functionality would be an abstraction over the vendor specific code like
building connections to the db and firing queries in case you need to switch implementations
frequently (This requirement is a myth IMO ;-).

>Cheers,
>Andi.
>
>On Jun 7, 2011, at 2:38 PM, Christian Albrecht wrote:
>
>> I used empire-db for several projects now and I think it's a great tool. For a recent
project however, I had to talk to an XML-database. I was wondering if I could take the principles
and ideas of empire-db and adapt them for that purpose. One could use a dtd or xml-schema
instance to create the database class and write the queries with XPath or XQuery (which would
probably be a Goliath project, since it's quite complex). However XPath is a W3C-recommendation
with a fixed simple grammar, so it should be quite simple to map this grammar to the Java
object model and with this beeing able to create string free XPath expressions. Metadata about
elements and attributes can also be represented in a similar fashion as empire-db already
does it.