From Rainer Döbele <doeb...@esteam.de>
Subject re: XMLWriter & co?
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:47:28 GMT
Hi Francis and Benjamin,

I am not at all happy with the idea to move all XML classes into a separate module.

Before we go too far, we should consider the impacts as well as different options.
First of all I don't like the idea of yet another module - even one with just a few lines
of code.
Second we need to consider backward compatibility as much as we can. It's OK if we're not
100% compatible 99% will do, but we cannot just change it all.

Before we start, can we please define our goal and keep the impact on the existing code base
to a minimum to achieve that goal?

I know I revived this issue myself recently, but now I am not so sure anymore whether this
was a good idea.
First I would like to discuss whether we really want to replace log4j with SLF4J.
After all its replacing one dependency by another with even losing some functionality. If
you see it from that perspective it's doesn't really sound like a good deal, does it? Besides
you would still need a logger in the example which means adding log4j there again.
So do we really want to use SLF4J or are there other (better) alternatives?

Second I would only remove the logging configuration from XMLConfiguration, nothing else and
leave the rest in place. We must then implement logging configuration in each of the examples
separately, but this is not a big issue.

Regards
Rainer