From Francis De Brabandere <franci...@gmail.com>
Subject Future of empire-db
Date Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:34:36 GMT
Hello there.

As empire-db is struggling a bit to grow a community, and we need a
bigger community to graduate, we want to involve our users in the
decision on where to go with the project.

Below you'll find some questions and we would be delighted to hear
your comments!

* Where do you use empire-db? or what keeps you from using empire-db?
* If you evaluated empire-db but switched to something else we would
like to know what you are using.
* How do you feel about the project?
* Is there anything we could do better?
* What should we put more effort into?
* Would you be interested in contributing. For example helping with
documentation, examples, blog posts, or adding functionality.

Thanks,

The empire-db team.

-- our incubator report as reference below --
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/January2011

Empire-db

Apache Empire-db is a relational database abstraction layer that
allows developers to take a more SQL-centric approach in application
development than traditional ORM frameworks. Its focus is to allow
highly efficient database operations in combination with a maximum of
compile-time-safety and DBMS independence.

Project development since the last report

Last December we have finished and published release 2.0.7 that
features some minor improvements and bug fixes. Currently we are
working on release 2.1.0 with more significant improvements.

Issues to address in the move towards graduation and community development

After now being 2 and a half years in the incubator we have managed to
successfully implement and establish the Apache development and
release cycle, we have published several releases and we have received
good feedback from users who are subscribed to the dev and user lists.

However during all this time, we have still not managed to get
ourselves known to a wider audience and to get a significant amount of
public attention, most certainly due to the fact that have not managed
to work on publicity as much as on code. Also our community currently
consists of only 3 active committers that are regularly contributing
to the project.

For this reason questions about the future of the project and whether
we will ever be able to graduate have been raised. While the remaining
active committers are determined to continue their project commitment
and to work towards graduation it is still unclear by which measures
new committers can be won to join the project.

Hence, for the coming months answering this question and establishing
the corresponding measures should be our focus. One way of answering
this question could be to move this discussion to the dev list in
order to find out how our subscribers feel about the status of the
project. Also it might make sense to combine the user and dev lists in
order to prevent subscribers from missing information and getting them
more involved in the project.

--
http://www.somatik.be