From Benjamin Venditti <benjamin.vendi...@arcor.de>
Subject EMPIREDB-38, switch to slf4j
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2011 00:22:38 GMT
Hey there,

i thought i could contribute a little for the next release and had a
look at the open-issues list for the upcoming release. I picked up
EMPIREDB-38 "switch to slf4j" as i think i can handle it (not so sure
with the other issues), and it shows to be unassigned.

My first impression is that it involves not to much work, we would have
to get rid of calls to "log.fatal(...)" as slf4j just offers 5 instead
of 6 logging levels. Do we make any destinction between fatal and
"normal" errors? If not, we can simply map fatal to error.

     slf4j.Logger:                                     debug, error,
info, trace, warn
     apache.commons.logging.Log:      trace, debug, info, warn, error, fatal

And there is a "LogFactory.releaseAll();" which i'm not sure how to map
in slf4j.

The "DOMConfiguration" stuff will be removed as far is i understood, as
this is neccessary for the configuration of the specific logging
implementation which will now go into a different config file.

I suggest to switch logging to slf4j in the whole project. That way i
could start with non crutial parts of the project, like the examples,
and i wouldn't have to worry about messing up the core. And in the end
we will have consistent logging in the whole project.

Please let me know what you think?

     Best Regards