From Francis De Brabandere <franci...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 2.0.7-incubating release completed, what's next?
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:48:54 GMT
Hi Andreas,

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Andreas Fink <andi@andreasfink.com> wrote:
> Hi Francis, Rainer.
>
>>> Besides the prepared statement fixes we should reconsider the slf4j logging (already
tried but the problem seems to be the configuration) and the exception handling - and maybe
a few more things.

>> I'm a fan of slf4j, and so dumping commons-logging. But the main
>> problem is that we have a hard dependency on log4j. We should at least
>> make that optional.
>
> Why don't you have a look at Logback (+slf4j): http://logback.qos.ch/documentation.html
> It is API compatible with slf4j, works with any logging impl out there (jdk, commons,
...) and even writes to stdout if no impl is available (handy for unit tests).

I also think that as tool provider that we should not enforce any
logging framework implementation. We should stick to the best api
which at the moment is slf4j. Slf4j can use any other framework out
there as input (api) or output (implementation).

> Moreover it gives you the possibility to keep the old calls to log4j in the source, if
this is really necessary: http://slf4j.org/legacy.html

Since we move to a new minor version I think we should switch to slf4j
completely.

I don't care too much what implementation we use in the examples /
unit tests: slf4j-log4j, slf4j-simple, slf4j-jdk14 or logback

Cheers,
Fracnis

--
http://www.somatik.be