From McKinley <mckinley1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DataType.AUTOINC Probably Needs a Change
Date Sun, 24 Jan 2010 20:56:02 GMT
On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Rainer Döbele <doebele@esteam.de> wrote:
> This code does not work for anything else than the AUTOINC datatype that we already support
as far as I can see.
> Or in other words: at the moment it looks that even with such a new property we would
still need to check against the AUTOINC datatype for the above example. I am surprised that
you have not come across this problem yet.

Perhaps ROWGUIDCOL is a bad fit for AUTOINC and should just be treated
as something else. It is true that you have to use some other method
to get the last inserted key.

> Also I am having problems with your case statements example (see below).
> The whole idea is that the database driver must be able to decide what the best (or only)
numeric type for AUTOINC columns is, whereas with other columns the user decides on scale
an precision. I doubt that there are any databases natively supporting anything else than
integer (non-fractional) numbers and it does makes absolutely no sense to limit the number
of digits.
> Hence I do not agree that AUTOINC is simply INTEGER plus + " IDENTITY".
> And since we already have three numeric types INTEGER, DECIMAL and DOUBLE there is no
reason why we should not take on AUTOINC as one of its own as well. Again: For DDL generation
the driver MUST decide on the best type and for DML it does not matter!

I can see your point about having a best default for DDL. I understand
your point about DML not mattering but, I disagree slightly. When
using a WHERE clause there is a little safety that is forfeited
because the AUTOINC column is not run through all the evaluation of
INTEGER or DECIMAL. My thought is why repeat those checks for AUTOINC
when AUTOINC can just be another check on top of those? And that
impacts not just Empire-db. I am now auto generating HTML forms and
Javascript pre-validation based on the DBTable and DBColumn meta data
in my Empire-db schema classes. I would like to know when my AUTOINC
column is one type or another before I use it in a WHERE.

> @McKinley: Give me another day or two and I will come up with a suggestion.

Thanks so much,

McKinley