From Francis De Brabandere <franci...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Code generator
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 07:31:09 GMT
Hi all,

I have been testing with MySQL and the only problem I found was that
MySQL is case-sensitive. So I had to remove all to uppercase calls.

And something else. For my part Benjamin has proven his commitment to
the project. Maybe we can start a vote to let him in?

Cheers,
Francis

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 11:35 PM, Rainer Döbele <doebele@esteam.de> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> finally I have found some time to look at the code generator.
>

> This time I decided to test with Microsoft SQL Server and I ran straight into a problem:
>
> Unlike the Oracle driver I had before, I had to supply the schema name with the catalog
parameter of DatabaseMetaData.getTables().

> Otherwise it wouldn't find the tables.
>
> Looks like DatabaseMetaData.getTables() behaves very database specific.
>
> Any idea how we can improve this?
>

> Another issue is that the driver may create a sequence table to handle sequences.
>
> There should be a way to ignore this sequence table.
>
> I also had a problem with some character case issues on the column name.
>
> This should work now.
>

> Apart from that the general class layout looks good.
>
> I only felt the desire to rename the CodeGen class to CodeGenWriter.
>
> IMO this makes more sense. Hope nobody minds.
>

> The most important thing missing are the relations.
>
> I think they should be added next.
>

> And I found that we should remove a few things from the generated database class.
>
> The two generic methods are not specific to the database supplied an could go directly
in DBDatabase.

> I am however not sure, whether I really recommend to work this way.
>
> This is more like traditional ORM's handle it and it breaks our paradigm - although it
is not wrong.

> And the static accessor should go as well. We cannot decide whether someone wants one
or multiple instances and how they should be accessed.

> It is even likely that someone wants to derived a class from the generated database class
in order to be able to generate the classes again without loosing his modifications.

> So if nobody objects I will remove this the next time.
>

> Long time since we have last heard anything of Thomas Poling.
>
> Maybe he has still not subscribed to empire-db-dev that why I put him on CC.
>
> Thomas if you read this - give us a sign.
>

> Benjamin IMO you have done a good job so far.
>
> I was surprised that splitting the process up in a parser and a writer by only using
a DBDatabase object has not been more difficult (or was it?).

--
http://www.somatik.be