From Rainer Döbele <doeb...@esteam.de>
Subject re: Limit Query Results inside DBCommand
Date Sun, 29 Nov 2009 12:25:00 GMT
Hi Amin,

unfortunately I must confess that we currently don't have the ability to limit the number
of rows returned.

This shows how different people work with databases.
In my many years of database programming I have never really felt the need for it since I
always found a constraint to work with.
I only sometimes use it for interactive queries to the database.
But you are right, this is a thing we definitely have to add.

I have created a JIRA issue for that and I will implement that ASAP.
Unfortunately this feature is handled differently by each database.
e.g.
SQL Server:
SELECT TOP 10 id, name, ...
FROM contacts

MySQL:
SELECT id, name, ...
FROM contacts
LIMIT 10

ORACLE:
SELECT id, name, ...
FROM contacts
WHERE ROWNUM <= 10

Another option is to use setMaxRows() before executing the statement.
This looks like a better idea to me since the JDBC driver can handle it.
Does anyone know if this is really equivalent?

Rainer