From Rainer Döbele <doeb...@esteam.de>
Subject Starting with Empire-db code generator
Date Sun, 27 Sep 2009 22:18:40 GMT
Hi all,

as you have probably noticed we have finally managed to get our 2.0.5 release approved and
published.
Now it's time to move ahead and get on with some serious work :-)

I have now set up a new project called "empire-db-codegen".
It is a Maven style subproject of "empire-db-parent" just like the empire-db core and the
struts2 extensions.
You can best access it with the public access to the svn repository on
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/empire-db/trunk

The package name for the code generator classes is "org.apache.empire.db.codegen".
The main class is "org.apache.empire.db.codegen.CodeGen" which can be executed through its
main method.
This should be OK for now, but my idea is to make this whole thing a Maven plugin later on.

At the moment the project contains only this class, a configuration class and a config file.
The properties of the configuration bean will be set from the config.xml file. I have already
added some configuration options of which I thought they would be useful. Feel free to add
more.
Before you start debugging however, you have to provide valid JDBC connection parameters to
a database.

The idea is now to add the templates and the code for the code generator based on your previous
work (@Thomas and Benjamin). We should make sure, that the code is as simple as possible and
largely "fat free" i.e. without any unnecessary stuff. On the other hand it would be handy
to have as many configuration options as possible with useful defaults. Any details about
the implementations can be discussed on this forum (empire-db-dev).

I have also created a JIRA issue though which you may submit your code.
It is EMPIREDB-52 which should be accessible though this URL:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&pid=12310820&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&component=12313027

I would be pleased if you help us creating this code generator and make it a major improvement
for our next release.
Please let me know whether this a good starting point for you and whether you will be able
to work this way.
Before we start we need to discuss who is doing what anyway.

Regards
Rainer