From n...@eknet.org
Subject error using apache derby and CLOB datatype
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:18:56 GMT

hi there

i was just experimenting with apache derby and found the following
situation:

one of my columns needs to store really long texts. so what i did with
empire-db is this:

  C_DESCRIPTION = addColumn("description", DataType.CLOB, 1024*1024, false);

not being really sure, if this is the desired way to go, it worked
with mysql (5.0.27). the same results in a "BadSQLGrammarException"
using apache derby 10.4.2.0. the CLOB datatype is translated into
this:

  CREATE TABLE betmarket (
     description LONGTEXT,

im really new to apache derby, but having a quick look at their page i
could not find the data type "LONGTEXT" in their manual. they have
CLOB and LONG VARCHAR as i could see. where LONG VARCHAR goes up to
32700 characters and a CLOB may be up to 2,147,483,647.

i will attach a tiny patch which worked in my case, but im not sure if
i missed something...

kind regards, eike