From Francis De Brabandere <franci...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Building the release assembly
Date Sat, 04 Apr 2009 10:40:52 GMT
> But I have another issue concering the naming of the empire-struts2-ext:
> I have delibertately chosen the name not to include the -db since there is no database
functionaltiy in there. The package namespace reflects this as well. Hence the name of the
jar should be empire-struts2-ext-xxx.jar (with xxx standing for the version string).
> The same applies to the Maven artifact id which should be empire-struts2-ext.
> Ideally this should also apply to the project name but this would probably be too much
hassle to change now.

I don't agree here, the project is empire-db, or not? Otherwise I
would call everyting empire-...
The struts-2 extensions are the extensions for using struts2 with
empire-db, what does empire without -db stand for?

> Also the version string should only be <version>2.0.5-SNAPSHOT</version>
(personally I would even remove the SNAPSHOT). I could change this myself, but they are your
files and I better ask beforehand.
> Concering the naming I would suggest to stick to the naming of our previous release (see
http://incubator.apache.org/empire-db/downloads/downloads.htm).

SNAPSHOT is a maven convention, there is no way around it. As release
won't be called SNAPSHOT I don't see no problem. SNAPSHOT is the maven
way to indicate a version between two releases.

I'm still for the easy (kiss) solution that most apache projects use.
Have the project name definded (empire or empire-db), all modules have
the same version and are called [empire name]-[module].

> Please let me know, when you have changed the assembly generation so I can check it an
possibly put it up for voting.
> I think we both want to get this release out asap.

I'd like to know what other ppl are thinking about this. It's just
that preparing new releases should not be a hassle. I'll make some
time to apply the changes to the assembly.

http://www.somatik.be