From Francis De Brabandere <franci...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Review of release assembly
Date Sun, 29 Mar 2009 17:50:07 GMT
> In order to go ahead I suggest the following.
> 1. The structure of the distribution should be
>   lib
>   javadoc
>   src
>   examples
> I think it would be better to separate the Examples from the Source like CXF does it.
At the moment we have it all below Src. Francis, would this be difficult to achive with your
Maven build?

no problem, the assembly file has the distribution structure definition

> 2. The lib-diretory should contain the following jars:
>   empire-db-2.0.5.jar
>   empire-struts2-ext-2.0.5.jar
>   common-beanutils-1.7.0.jar
>   common-collections-3.2.1.jar
>   common-logging-1.0.4.jar
>   log4j-1.2.14.jar
>   hsqldb-1.8.0.10.jar
> That will be sufficient to compile Empire-db core and the Empire-db core examples. I
can provide two additional info files specifying which dependencies are required for the struts2-ext
and the cxf-examples. To me this would be an acceptable compromise. In this case we have to
provide the license file for HSQLDB in the root. I don't think it's worth having a separate
license folder.
> Another option would be to supply the required dependencies for Struts2 and CXF too.
But this would considerably blow up the size of the release file.

ok for me, ppl using maven won't be downloading the the distribution
anyway except maybe for the examples

> Concering the SNAPSHOT extension on our jars I have a question (probably best answered
by the mentors): The jars are in the archive that we put up for voting. If the vote succeeds,
is it acceptable to remove the extension or would it be better to remove the extension beforehand?
(Personally I would do the latter).

if you release using maven, maven will remove that snapshot tag when
performing the actual release (tagging svn + other stuff) so don't
worry about it, it's just the way maven works

> Another question to Francis:
> When I tried to run the struts2 samples I had another problem. When I chose "Debug on
Server" for the empire-db-example-struts2 (using Tomcat 5.5.) I get the following error in
the log:
>  java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/xml/DOMConfigurator
> For some reason log4j is not published to the WEB-INF/lib directory although it seems
to be correctly specified as a maven dependency. Do you have any idea why other maven depedencies
are copyied and this one is not?

i'll fix this

> On the other hand the servlet-api-2.4.jar and jsp-api-2.0.jar are published although
they should not.
> (Personally I am using the sysdeo tomcat plugin with which the examples run fine when
configured correctly)

i should be able to fix this as well

http://www.somatik.be