From "Francis De Brabandere" <franci...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Information about the empire-struts2-ext distribution
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:37:57 GMT
Rainer,

Thanks for the info but I don't think we are talking about the same thing.
Let's think about what a maven user would like from the empire-db project.

As a maven user you declare dependencies to other artifacts (jar's) to
have them fetched on build/eclipse project setup time. So what you
gain is not having to download a distribution or whatever is used to
build the library you want to use. All you do is define where the
dependencies' artifacts are located (if not in the central repo) and
which they are. What you are talking about is that the user can
download the "distribution" and build it including samples using
maven. I don't see any value in that, I want to *build my* project
using maven and *use your* library without too much
configuration/setup.

So what are the steps to provide empire as dependency in maven:

- Create main jar, source jar, and javadoc jar
- Define pom for empire (including definitions of the dependencies)
- upload everything to a (temporary) repo that the users can define in
their project setup.

And these steps should be performed for the struts 2 ext as well.

Now for dependencies definitions, maven has a system of transitive
dependencies, dependencies of dependencies. For example if we take the
pom for struts2-core:
http://www.mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.struts/struts2-core/2.1.2
you can see that this artifact depends on a lot of other artifacts.
That was why I was asking you to let me know what the *real*
dependencies are for empire struts2. There is no direct dependency for
ognl I suppose, this is a struts2 dependency, not a empire struts2 ext
one.

The point is that preparing all the above is easily done when empire
is using using maven for its own build. And that would be step 2. Once
the maven repo is set up we could also transform the DBWebSample to a
maven build (as step 1.5) so that the example can be run using maven.

test, or move the whole empire build to maven (big bang)

Regards,

Francis

--
http://www.somatik.be