From "Francis De Brabandere" <franci...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven support for the upcoming 2.0.5 release
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 08:19:42 GMT
Is there a lot of activity in subversion at the moment? The switch
should take about an evening of work (CET (UTC+1)). Are there any
active branches?
I'm willing to set everything up but you need to make sure nobody has
local modifications since everything is going to be moved.

Francis

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Francis De Brabandere
<francisdb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The first step for moving to maven is always moving everything into
> the maven layout and updating the ant scripts. This if you want a
> gradual migration.
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html
>
> I suppose there will be one parent module, one main empire-db module,
> the struts integration module and some example modules
>
> Regards,
>
> Francis
>
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Jörg Reiher <reiher@esteam.de> wrote:
>> Hi Francis,
>> first thanks for reporting the bug in the SampleConfig - that's definitely a good
start to contribute :-)!

>> As Rainer already stated, the main goal for release 2.0.5 (and 1.0.5 of struts extension
respectively) should be to "mavenize" the empire-db source code.
>> This doesn't require deep insight into empire-db, but a good knowledge of Maven.
So if you feel comfortable with Maven (or you want to get comfortable :-) then this would
be great.
>> To start I'd look into other Apache (Incubator) projects to see how they used Maven.
By "mavenizing" empire-db we could get rid of some dependencies and we'd overcome the trouble
with
>> proprietary db drivers, because the user could download them from the Maven repository
(we can't provide proprietary drivers in the Apache svn of course).

>> There are a lot of other things that could be done for empire-db that need some more
insight into the code, for example:
>> - Implementing drivers for other databases (DerbyDB comes to mind as it's also an
Apache project)
>> -> a starting point would be to take a closer look at the *Driver* classes in
the empire-db project, maybe even starting with a copy of one of these as a "template"
>> - Searching and reporting bugs and/or improvements
>> - Creating "extensions" for other web/gui frameworks to leverage the meta data provided
by empire-db
>> -> this is of course quite time consuming and needs quite good knowledge of the
empire-db components and the targeted web/gui framework

http://www.somatik.be