From Rainer Döbele <doeb...@esteam.de>
Subject Re: Maven support for the upcoming 2.0.5 release
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2008 09:16:20 GMT
Hi Francis,

you really seem to have a sound knowledge of Maven and know what you are talking about.
That is good and exactly what we need.

I very much appreciate that you want to contribute to our project and you are welcome to be
a committer on our project. In order to become a committer you first have to fill out and
submit a Contributor License Agreement (see http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas). I am not
quite sure who is going to put you on the project committer list and grant the access privileges
- you may want to ask Henning (henning@apache.org) or Martijn (dashorst@apache.org).

I think basically we are all committed of doing it the Maven way, but for me the questions
remains on how far how fast.

What I am still a bit concerned about, is that we will face problems in the transition phase
and that it will be harder for us to make changes and to publish a new release. Setting it
all up the way it is working now took quite a bit of effort and I don't think it'll be that
easy to get everything right with Maven immediately. Especially since none of us other committers
is really familiar with Maven so far (although we're willing to learn).

Still I plead for a smooth transition in two phases:

Phase one: Take the current distribution (apache-empire-db-2.0.4-incubating and apache-empire-struts2-ext-1.0.4-incubating
from http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/empire-db) and restructure it for Maven in a way
that it best possibly conforms to all Maven conventions. This would also include putting all
required files into the maven repository. Next we will change our distribution scripts to
build the distribution in that way for the 2.0.5 release.

Phase two: Once the 2.0.5. release is out and everybody had a chance to see the benefits,
we can restructure our internal SVN structure in the same way.

I hope this approach is feasible and if so I think it is sensible.
We should possibly consider all options and call for a vote.

Regards
Rainer