From Rainer Döbele <doeb...@esteam.de>
Subject Re: Maven support for the upcoming 2.0.5 release
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 14:01:47 GMT
Hi Francis,

What I mean by maven support is that we want users to be able to build the distribution files
(i.e. apache-empire-db-2.0.4-incubating and apache-empire-struts2-ext-1.0.4-incubating in
http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/empire-db) with Maven.
Also it should provide projects files for Eclipse, Net Beans etc. if possible so that we don't
have to supply them with the distribution.

The build.xml Ant file supplied with the distribution could possibly remain and still work
(giving the user an option).

We don't need Maven for our own development or to build the distribution.
(Unless you can convince us that it's worthwhile)

Is that how you understood it?

Regards,
Rainer

Francis De Brabandere wrote:
> Betreff: Re: Maven support for the upcoming 2.0.5 release
>
> Do I understand correctly that you want to start building the project
> using maven instead of ant? Because you are talking about maven
> 'support'...
>
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Rainer Döbele <doebele@esteam.de> wrote:
> > Thanks a lot Francis,
> >
> > I have submitted all my recent changes and I have no local changes left.
> > Matt and Manuel should not have local changes as far as I know.
> >
> > There is one JIRA task still open from Jörg (EMPIREDB-27).
> > Jörg can you please tell us whether or not you are currently working on
> this issue?
> >
> > I have created a new JIRA-Task for the MAVEN support.
> > See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMPIREDB-29
> > Please use EMPIREDB-29 in your comment when you check in modified files.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Rainer
> >
> > Francis De Brabandere wrote:
> >>
> >> Is there a lot of activity in subversion at the moment? The switch
> >> should take about an evening of work (CET (UTC+1)). Are there any
> >> active branches?
> >> I'm willing to set everything up but you need to make sure nobody has
> >> local modifications since everything is going to be moved.
> >>
> >> Francis

> >> standard-directory-layout.html

> >> definitely a good start to contribute :-)!

> of
> >> struts extension respectively) should be to "mavenize" the empire-db
> >> source code.
> knowledge
> >> of Maven. So if you feel comfortable with Maven (or you want to get
> >> comfortable :-) then this would be great.
> >> they used Maven. By "mavenizing" empire-db we could get rid of some
> >> dependencies and we'd overcome the trouble with
> the
> >> Maven repository (we can't provide proprietary drivers in the Apache
> svn
> >> of course).

> that
> >> need some more insight into the code, for example:
> >> it's also an Apache project)
> >> classes in the empire-db project, maybe even starting with a copy of
> one
> >> of these as a "template"
> >> meta data provided by empire-db
> >> knowledge of the empire-db components and the targeted web/gui
> framework

Maven