From Rainer Döbele <doeb...@esteam.de>
Subject preparing empire-struts2-ext-1.0.4-incubating release candidate 2
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2008 20:43:24 GMT
Hi Thomas,

I have now changed to release build script once again so it will put the two tomcat jars back
into the empire-struts2-ext distribution. I have taken the servlet-api.jar and jsp-api.jar
from the apache-tomcat-5.5.27 distribution to make sure we have the latest version.

Just to double check: Is it correct, that we do not need to provide additional licensing information
in our notice or license file? (In fact I could not find any templates that would give me
a hint about what exactly to add).

Thanks.
Rainer

>>> Assuming that they have not included the jars incorrectly.
>>>

>>  I will check that the jars in question are those released by tomcat.
>>

>>> Perhaps it would be better to double-check with legal?
>>>

>>  If the jars are ASL licensed, I do not see the need. Correct me if I'm
>> wrong.
>>

> What I meant was - just because the jars are part of another Apache
> product does not necessarily mean that they are ASL licensed. One
> would hope that they are, but given some of the other postings in this
> thread I though it would be prudent to double-check this.
>
> I just checked the jsp-api and servlet-api jars from Tomcat 5.5.27 and
> 6.0.18; unfortunately the jars themselves do not contain NOTICE or
> LICENSE files, and the jar manifests are no help either - it's not
> clear where the jars originated.
>
> However, looking at the source archives for Tomcat, one can see that
> the sources for the two jars are present, so it looks like the jars
> are indeed created from Tomcat sources, not copies of the Sun jars. I
> looked a a few of the source files, and these have standard AL2.0
> headers. So it looks OK to use the jars from Tomcat, as they don't
> appear to be the Sun jars.
>
> It's a pity that the Tomcat jars don't contain proper manifests + N &
> L files; I'll see about raising that with the Tomcat developers.

Thanks for checking. I was assuming that the tomcat people know what they
are doing.

    Thomas