From Jean-Louis Boudart <jeanlouis.boud...@gmail.com>
Subject Defining easyant's high level target
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:36:31 GMT
Hi,

As you should know we removed the concept of phases in favor of
extensionPoint in EasyAnt. This allow us to have a much more flexible and
dynamic lifecycle.

But i'm still convinced we need to keep "high level targets".
What the hell is that?
"high level targets" is a set of target usually called by end users. This
should be common to every buildtypes.
No ambiguity examples :

   - clean : delete any artifacts from previous builds
   - compile : compile the source code of the project (usually invoked by
   IDE)
   - package : take the compiled code and package it in its distributable
   format, such as a JAR
   - test : run tests using a suitable unit testing framework. These tests
   should not require the code be packaged or deployed

The idea is to have a very limited common target.

Do you see some other high level targets candidate ?

To answer you can check the old lifecycle [1].

I think we should add the following ones :

   - integration-test : process and deploy the package if necessary into an
   environment where integration tests can be run
   - verify  : run any checks to verify the package is valid and meets
   quality criteria (test + integration-test)
   - release : done in an integration or release environment, copies the
   final package to the remote repository for sharing with other developers
   and projects
   - report : generate reports (checkstyle, cobertura, etc...)
   - publish-local : publish the package into the local repository, for use
   as a dependency in other projects locally
   - publish-shared : done in an integration environment, copies the final
   package to the remote repository for sharing with other developers and
   projects

I'm not sure about publish-local and publish-shared names.

What do you think ?

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/easyant/plugins/trunk/phases-std/src/main/resources/phases-std.ant
--