From Jean-Louis Boudart <jeanlouis.boud...@gmail.com>
Subject Refactoring phases in favor of extention points
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:39:42 GMT
Dear EasyAnters,

As you should know we are doing a huge refactoring on EasyAnt including
migration from phases to extention points [1].
I was wondering if next release should be compatible with both phases and
extention points.

IMHO we should focus on extention points and forget phases, and i suggest
to mark all previous plugins incompatible with the next release.

As part of the next release, we also plan to use alternative ProjectHelper,
in other words to support plugins written in java (using Ant JavaFront) or
groovy (using Ant GroovyFront). This could be achieved without effort with
"extention point" as the feature is native to Ant whereas "phase" is (or
was :p) specific to EasyAnt. Adding support of phases on alternative
ProjectHelper would create unnecessary work.

I know it's always better to keep backward compatibility, but the way of
thinking plugins with phases is really different from plugins with
extentionPoint. I think it's not safe to maintain plugins with both
features. As we're migrating to Apache,  it's probably the right moment to
make this kind of change.

Any objections ?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EASYANT-27

--