From Jean-Louis Boudart <jeanlouis.boud...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Continunuous integration and repository management
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2011 08:47:01 GMT
2011/7/7 Siddhartha Purkayastha <kpsiddharth@gmail.com>

> Some additional thoughts:
>
> Single Repository will be less confusing to the user. Flip side of having a
> single repository will be that there will be nothing to prevent someone
> from
> injecting a dependency of the core on non-Apache compliant plug-ins
> inadvertently. Having a separate Apache repository will enforce this
> restriction.

We can limit this by having distinct internal repositories with different
roles to upload on them to limit this effect. See
http://wiki.jfrog.org/confluence/display/RTF/Managing+Repositories for more
details.

> As I understand, there is also the need to maintain the sources for
> plug-ins
> that are *non-apache*. For such plug-ins, separate source repositories will
> be needed. These will be outside the purview of Apache. So it may also be
> possible that in the future, rights to develop on and build such plug-ins
> may vest on people of the larger community independent of the Apache
> EasyAnt
> dev team. As such, it may be helpful to have a clear separation between
> Apache and non-Apache sources, builds and resultant artifacts.

Maybe we can let the community choose where they want to host their plugins
sources (on github? sourceforce ? googlecode? whatever...). Then if they
want to make it build and published on our online repository they could ask
us on the mailing list, we will setup a jenkins job on
builds.easyant.organd make the plugin published on
repository.easyant.org.

Does it sounds reasonable ?

> Just to point out - if we are to use builds.apache.org, we will need
> EasyAnt
> installed on the build machines. I think that should not be a problem
> though.

Hudson/Jenkins is not necessarily required as we can invoke a shell script.
About installing easyant itself i'm not sure this is required as we can
"bootstrap" the build with Apache Ant. We could then use easyant from the
bootstrap distribution.

--
Jean Louis Boudart
Independent consultant