From Jean-Louis Boudart <jeanlouis.boud...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Clean up of some IP issues
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 11:38:12 GMT
Le 27 juillet 2011 17:52, Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org> a
écrit :

> So, I have reviewed every revisions. I see 3 categories of commits.

So many thanks for this quick review !

> About the second, here is the list that I have gathered:
> - get rid of everything under src/integration-test

+1

> - remove the xooki plugin

As far as i know those change only affect the generation of menu entry
(through menu generator)  so removing his commit can make sense but not the
whole plugin

- remove the menu generator

- remove the eadoc plugin

I originally developped the menu generator mechanism, then someone improved
it a lot with a concrete implementation to generate menu entry on xooki and
eadoc plugin.
Removing eadoc plugin can make sense as we will probably need a different
mechanism to generate plugin documentation as we plan to have external
plugins. Removing the xooki-menu-generator make sense too.

> - remove the docbook plugin

+1

- get rid of the patch of antunit and ivy (they all are already backported
> to their project, aren't they?)

All patches has been applied so we can remove it

> - get rid of src/test/antunit : there might be debate here, but there's a
> lots a stuff there. For everybody sake, it will be a lot simpler to just
> drop it

+1 it make particular sense as plugins test was mixed in easyant-core
before. In the new architecture, each plugins will have their own test

> - idem for the antunit, coverage, cobertura, emma plugins

+1 to rewrite / rethink thoses plugins
Did you voluntary forgot the "package-test-jar" plugin ? It's a really
simple plugin making a jar of test classes (not sure there's lot of IP
there)

> - a sum of diff to revert, see diff-to-revert.txt

+1 it i remember those commits hacked the shell script (and the module.ant)
to limit the size of easyant distribution. Until now we were shipping a
"third-party-repository" containing many external libs including ivy, and
ant used to build easyant itself. Thoses jars were also distributed in a
"lib/" directory and used at runtime. As we now plan to have an online
repository i think we can get rid of third-party-repository.

> About the third, if anybody have to time to see the commits, he is welcomed
> to help decide what we can do about it. See the diff-to-decide.txt

Here are my comments based on your diff-to-decide :
r517 : factorize  a set of <fileset> to create easyant distribution => not
sure we can't get rid of this
In the  same commit modification on shell scripts doesn't seems to be
related => could be reverted
r492 : his a workaround for a strange bug when ant locates ANT_HOME =>
should be kept
r491: nothing to do it was for debug the commit has been already reverted =>
nothing to do
r490: seems like experimentation things related to ANT_HOME (the real fix is
r492) => can be reverted
r489: invokes explicitly the generation of plugin documentation => can be
reverted
r487:  fixes unit test and performance improvement of module resolution and
repository report => not sure we can remove this
r485: huge enhancement on JarResolver's implementation (repository in a jar)
=> not sure we can remove this
r485: jarresolver enhancement + repository resolver enhancement => not sure
we can remove this
r428: i think most of the code here doesn't exist now has it has been
migrated in a separated plugin (package-test-jar) => nothing to do
r427: enhancement on Import task, it was supposed to make or test easier =>
can be reverted also related
rest of the commit impacts antunit / test-utils => can be removed
r270: seems a short patch on submodule, it has been refactored a lot => i
would say nothing to do :)
r239: almost all the documentation of multimodule => ???
r232: tiny changes on build-tools v0.1 plugin (multi module) this plugin is
now deprecated => can be removed from SVN
r207,205: css changes + introduces two new documentation pages
-buildtypes.html and plugins.html => ???

--
Jean Louis Boudart
Independent consultant