From Jean-Louis Boudart <>
Subject EasyAnt online repository
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2011 13:22:16 GMT
Hi there,

As discussed many times we reach the point where we need an online

While reviewing the licences of the software included in the svn tree
of Easyant, some dependency on external LGPL library was found. There
are somehow optional to EasyAnt core, but not for the "plugin" dedicated to
the integration of that third library. A consensus was found by the
developer community to not release such software under the ASF.

In other words source of plugins compatible with ASL will be hosted
For plugins non compatible with ASL (checkstyle for example) they need to be
hosted outside Apache.

Possible hosting for sources can be :

   - Apache Extras ( more
   a googlecode referenced as "related to apache project" but where we can't
   use the name Apache (or the org.apache as package name)
   - GitHub
   - Whatever

Then about hosting releases  we have a lot of options as we use Ivy. So we
can use any of existing resolvers (see
A few ideas  :

   - Using and URLResolver  : i'm not sure Apache
   Infrastrure team will allow us to do this as it is supposed to be mirrored.
   If we use we should support mirroring
   - Using with a mirrorring resolver : It seems
   someone of the ivy/easyant team has just commited a new resolver supporting
   http mirroring :p
   - Using SVN Resolver ( pointing to our
   sources repositories
   - Using a repository manager (like nexus or artifactory)
   - Hosting our plugins on Maven central repository

Note that only plugins compatible with ASL can be hosted on
Should we have one central repository, hosting all our releases ? or should
we have many one for plugins compatible with ASL and another one for non
compatible ?

What do we expect from an online repository?
Do we plan to host only release ? Should we use it to publish kind of
"snapshot" (i hate this word but consider it as non release version)? Should
we want to support stagging,  promoting a plugin to different stage could be
cool isn't it?
Don't forget that we'll probably host ".jar" files as we will probably write
new ant tasks, patch ant or ivy and in a near future we should be able to
write easyant plugins in java or groovy.

What do you think ?

Jean Louis Boudart
Independent consultant
Project Lead