From Jean-Louis Boudart <jeanlouis.boud...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: EasyAnt Build
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2011 21:47:34 GMT
2011/3/22 Purkayastha, Siddhartha <Siddhartha.Purkayastha@ca.com>

> Hi All -
>
> I was looking at EasyAnt after a long time today.
>
> While we are discussing infrastructural and legal issues, I thought of
> bringing up a few technical points / questions:
>
> 1. Is there a place which we can develop as developer's guide? I guess it
> may be very helpful for interested developers to work on EasyAnt. To start
> with: documenting the set up and build process, a design description - which
> we could gradually develop over time? Is there something like that already I
> dont know of ..  :-). I think a wiki was mentioned in some previous
> discussion. Can we try to make it a repository of developer resources?

I would prefer to be shipped in our documentation. People downloading our
sources would have every helpful informations offline to develop in
easyant-core itself or how to write / submit plugins.

I didn't get this error. It looks like @Override is not needed here.

> 3. I tried to bootstrap the build of the current version on HEAD using
> EasyAnt 0.8 but, that did not work.I am wondering given that EasyAnt is
> dependent on Ant, is it really worthwhile to build easyant using itself?
> Even if we are using EasyAnt, internally it is still Ant. The EasyAnt build
> itself will be much easier to understand then.

There are two options  to bootstrap easyant distribution :
 * using deploy target our build.xml for bootstraping target/dist (it
basically compile easyant-core and invokes EasyAntMain under the hood)
 * using another easyant distribution

Being able to build easyant using itsellf allow us to reuse existing
plugins.

Even if we use ant under the hood of easyant it's not possible (yet) to use
easyant plugins outside of easyant as we extends some classes of ant core
(Main, ProjectHelper) to support phases. Note that our plugins also uses
easyant tasks (<ea:parameter> for example).

I must admit that it's a bit complex, but this would probably refactored
when we will have a public repository for plugins as we will refactor our
build  and distribution.

> 4. Currently, after running the EasyAnt build, I see three directories
> being created inside target: dist, distribution, and distributions. Other
> than dist, the other two directories are empty. Should we be retaining all
> three? Are the three meant to serve different purposes?

target/dist = is a local distribution of easyant (used for developpment of
easyant-core itself)
target/distribution and target/distributions seems redundant to me. They are
both used to store easyant distribution archives (zip, tarballs, etc...)

--
Jean Louis Boudart
Independent consultant